Friday, March 12, 2004

Weekend

Well, it's a big weekend here at Vitamin Z. Some close friends will be coming to visit and it may affect my posting, but I doubt it. I am somewhat addicted to this site, if for no other reason that it gives me a chance to vent in what might be my most eloquent manner--writing. It's a release, a stimulant, a cause. In short, it's everything and more that I had hoped when it started a week and a half ago.
I had planned on including more political posts, but I have discovered that Danny O'Brien does that so well, that I have been focusing more on other things that interest me. It would seem that as November draws closer, my political commentaries will increase.
I was somewhat thrown this week when John McCain made his little remark about John Kerry, but time has given me a chance to think this out. I have many liberal friends, some who I would trust with my well-being. That doesn't mean that we would make a good political match. If my friend Carl (a talented and creative writer and soon director) asked me to join him in a political stand, I would certainly consider it, based on our friendship.
I think that is what John McCain meant. Joining the Democratic ticket would make him a folk hero to many (even me, who detests John Kerry, would have to respect him for being bold) but the Republicans would likely view him a traitor, the way many liberals view Ralph Nader today. Granted, McCain has more power, influence and voter potential than Ralph could ever dream to acheive, but I think you see my point.
It would be political suicide if the gamble failed, which it very well might. Republicans would never work with McCain, some democrats would dislike Kerry for abandoning his liberal roots.
Add it all up, and Kerry will probably be better off with John Edwards, who in addition to conservative appeal to swing voters, also hails from the south, a democratic must in November. That will be difficult for Kerry, who may have trouble ditching his elitest image. (He may not have one, but I believe there is a perception there.
The one thing that may hurt Bush is his Vice President. I don't think that anyone could discount Dick Cheaney's intelligence, but he is cause for concern. I'm not sure that anyone is comfortable with the idea of "President Cheaney," should something happen to Bush. I think it is in Bush's best interests to find a new candidate to run with.
But I don't think he's going to. I'm not sure that Bush would mind being back in Texas this time next year, not that I blame him. Even more, I am unconvinced that Bush cares that much about the GOP, much less what happens in 2008. He may want the staff in place that he feels can best work to make America work.
Part of that makes him admirable.
Part of it scares me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home