Monday, March 08, 2004

Couch era all but over
According to the Plain Dealer. the Browns have offered quarterback Jeff Garcia a two year deal, spelling the end for Thim Couch in Cleveland. Garcia hasn't agreed to the deal yet, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't later today. Eight million over two years is a lot to pass up, especially at Jeff's age.
My thoughts on the deal are this: I am a big Garcia guy, and have been since he began quarterbacking the 49ers.
I still think that Couch can be an effective NFL quarterback, but he was never going to be the "great" quarterback that his salery deserved. Add to that all the psychological issues (the benching, getting jeered by the fans) and I think his departure is for the best.
Garcia is likely not a long term answer, but I think Davis is beginning to believe, as many in the NFL do, that an offense should not be made to fit a quarterback, but that a quarterback should fit an offense.
I expect Tim to surface in Dallas, Arizona, or somewhere where a team is looking for an answer.
I never really liked or disliked Couch. I only met him once, and he was cool to me when I did, but as a quarterback, he was simply too inconsistant, focing passes and holding the ball too long.
He may prosper in another organization, where he will no longer be asked to carry the weight of being the "franchise quarterback."
I still think the Browns need to focus on the line, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home