Saturday, July 04, 2009

Palin
Alaska Governor Sarah Palin announced she is resigning from office at the end of the month.

Not too long after her announcement, I received a pair of messages from somewhat liberal friends, asking me if I was in "mourning" over the decision.

OK, here's the truth: I'm not now, and have never really been crazy about Sarah Palin. I liked that she drove my liberal friends crazy. I liked that she wasn't afraid to fight back against unfair attacks (of which, there were plenty).

But as a politician, I found myself underwhelmed. She seemed to be an interesting and entertaining candidate, but once you stripped away all the soundbytes and the show, there didn't seem to be a whole lot there. I don't mean that as an attack on her character or her intelligence. She just seemed to be a governor thrust into the national spotlight who didn't seem completely ready for it.

I feel the same way about President Obama. He's an interesting and intelligent guy, but I think he's in over his head and it's starting to show.

All that said, I'm disappointed by Palin's decision to resign. If one believes her reasoning for resigning, it doesn't make sense.

When a person runs for governor, they are running for the complete term. It not a college class where if you finish the exam early, you get to go home.

She made a promise to the people of Alaska, and by leaving office early, she hasn't fullfilled that promise. It would have been understandable if she was about to become Vice President, but to leave under these circumstances may haunt her.

If Palin wants to run again for national office, it would be difficult for me to support her, remembering how she left her constituents somewhat high and dry. You can't do that as president (unless you are about to be impeached) and you shouldn't do it as governor.

Of course, there is always the chance that there is more to the story. But on the surface, Palin seems to have made a bad choice.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home