Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Busy Day
I almost started this post by wondering if Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, currently busy milking every bright light they can out of the ridiculous Don Imus story, will apoligize to the Duke Lacrosse players they demonized.
But singling Jackson and Sharpton out is not fair. There were many others that probed the "deeper issues" of the case before anyone knew anything.
In truth, Jackson and Sharpton look a lot better than former district attorney Mike Nifong, who pursued the case against mounting evidence and brought the students down with him.
I don't expect Sharpton or Jackson to apoligize, and I don't expect Nifong to either. Sharpton and Jackson will continue to follow the lights. Nifong has more pressing matters (like getting disbarred).
To me, the case was more about evidence. Instead of waiting, a number of people jumped on the story, and to conclusions. In the process, everything was trivialized.

On Imus
Don Imus is a shock jock, which is a synonym for pointless. What he said was wrong and inappropriate. If I heard that on the radio, I'd change the channel. If I saw his remark on TV, I'd have turned it off.
But the Don Imus story, or the importance of it, has one little problem.
It's Don Imus. Don Imus.
So why does anyone care?
He's not a senator. He's not a congressman. He's not even on Grey's Anatomy. He's an old fool who doesn't really matter. He said something stupid and offensive, which is what I think shock jocks are supposed to do. That doesn't mean it's OK. But that is the job description.
I fear what some people are doing is using this remark for their own benefit.
The funny thing is, I did have a passing respect Imus before this, because when he had politicians on, he would be fair with them, regardless of their party. (Translation: I never listened to his show, but read transcripts of some of his interviews, mainly with politicians).
And just about everyone has been on his show.
But his remark is, according to many who listen to him, nothing new.
So why is everyone acting so shocked?
And again, why does anyone care?
All suspending Imus did was make it so his small number of fans can't listen to him. The ones calling for his resignation probably never do anyway, so there lives are unaffected.
Jason Whitlock makes some interesting points in his latest column. I'm not sure I agree with all of them, but that's common.
It's worth reading.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home