Tuesday, March 20, 2007

BGSU in the Sweet 16
As happy as I am for the Bowling Green women's basketball team, it would be dishonest if I said I wasn't just a little bit jealous.
Several years ago, I covered the Falcons' women's team, and though I enjoyed the beat, I never had the opportunity to cover a team in the NCAA Tournament.
Still, I can't help but be thrilled for my school. I'm not so thrilled the game (save the final minute) was blacked out where I live. Someone needs to explain the logic to me on that one.
I watched the game's flow by a scorebug on ESPN, which in some ways is more intense than watching the game. Watching sports live sometimes gives me the impression I can control it, even though I know I can't.
Amber Flynn scored the points, Ali Mann hit the big shot, and BG made MAC history, becoming the first conference team to reach the Sweet 16. I didn't see any of that, but I saw the final minute. It was a great moment when the buzzer sounded. I assume somewhere, Francine Miller, Lindsay Austin, Stefanie Wenzel and Kim Griech -- the players I covered-- feel very good.
They were there for the tough years, and now they are seeing the culmination of the program they helped build.
Curt Miller also has to feel pretty good. Not only has he led a program from mediocrity to one of the best in the country, but he has to be in line for a pretty good raise.
The question is whether he will get it in BG, or somewhere else. But he will get it.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:18 AM , Blogger Joel said...

I feel a lot of the same things you do, re: the women's team and having a connection.

I always found Miller to be accommodating and genuine, though this year, with the "underdog" stuff I mentioned a while back, I've soured a bit. either way, He's a heckuva coach. He's got an Urban Meyer-like quality.

What happens if they win the national title? How could BG not fork it over and keep him? And how could he leave? He couldn't say there's no way to win a title at BG.

I'll be watching the next couple weeks unfold very closely. Either way, it's an exciting time, finally, again, to be a BG alum.

 
At 6:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Frannie Miller probably doesn't have an opinion. She was nice, but her favorite answer was "I don't know." Ryan Fowler and I used to get a laugh out of that.

The teams we covered were hotter (Wenzel), but who cares? BG is in the Sweet 16. I'm desperately hoping that they are the women's version of George Mason and get back to Cleveland for the Final Four. I might be going to ticket scalpers for the first time in my life if that happens (don't alert the Feds.)

This sure is a long way from the days of Dee Knoblauch, isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home