Saturday, January 06, 2007

Comings, Goings
It was inevitable that someone was going to have to take the fall for Braylon Edwards' immaturity. It's unfortunate that the person that took it was wide receivers' coach Terry Robiskie.
In many cases, when I write about an athlete or coach, I'm writing on what I have read or seen on television. But in Robiskie's case, I can write from a personal experience. I don't want to get into the details, but some months ago I was covering a charity event held by the local Browns' Backers. The original guest of honor, a former Browns player, canceled at the last moment. Despite being given little notice, and having to get up early on one of his few days off, Robiskie drove a few hours just to fill in. He was terrific, answering questions from the backers and accepting my request for an interview. He was talkative and friendly, in a great mood. For one day, I was positive about the Browns.
Robiskie is a class act, and as a fan, I will miss him.
---
Bill Cowher's resignation is not really a surprise. He's spent 15 years in Pittsburgh, won a Super Bowl, and has nothing left to prove. I expect him back in coaching one day, but for now I wish him well in his retirement. He certainly deserves a break.
I do, however, feel sorry for whoever takes Cowher's place. Since 1969, there have been seven U.S. presidents, but only two Steelers' coaches. Think there will be pressure?
---
The Raiders have become a parody of themselves, firing Art Shell, as though he was the reason the team won two games. I'm sure Shell doesn't want pity, but I do have to make this point: In the 1990s, Art Shell was a successful coach for the Los Angeles Raiders. But despite his success, he was never given another shot after the Raiders axed him.
Until this year, when he returned to the Raiders. He had to know the situation was not ideal, but he also knew he might never get another chance to be a head coach. It's sad, because after this season, I doubt he will get another opportunity.

1 Comments:

At 5:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robiske lost his job because Crennel didn't exercise any discipline on this team. What makes this all the odder is Robiske instilled discipline while serving as interim coach in 2004. I wonder if we wold have been better off just letting Robiske get the job full time. So much of success of a head coach is based on the tone that is set and Crennell doesn't seem to consider that important. I hope next year is better but I'm not optimistic.

As far as Art Shell goes, his biggest mistake was in choosing his assistant coaches. His offensive coordinator had been out of football for more than a decade. With Shell being rusty he needed assistants who were up to speed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home