Saturday, December 30, 2006

Browns season ends today
It's stunning how,less than four months ago, I couldn't wait for the season to start. Now, I can't wait for it to end. I still like Romeo Crennel and Phil Savage, and still have faith in them. But this season was disasterous. Injuries, blowups, firings, more injuries, heartbreaking losses, near fights, injuries, and more injuries.
By November, I had started watching pro wrestling again, because I couldn't stand watching a sport where my team had no chance and needed something to fill the time. That's a bad sign.
There's talk of big changes, as if that will do any good. Maybe it's best to just accept, learn and move on.
* There are some positives. Four wins this season, yes. But Kamerion Wimbley will be a star at linebacker. Kellen Winslow has been healthy and very good. If only he could keep his mouth shut. Hank Fraley has been a stable addition at center, and with the questions surrounding LeCharles Bentley, ought to be retained. Simon Frasier has been solid.
* Does anyone have any idea what was wrong with Phil Dawson this season?
* So we watch, and we wait, and we hope. I hope Romeo is retained, Phil does what he does best, and next year will be better. I also hope there are no press conferences next week with Randy Lerner stumbling in front of the cameras. Randy, relax, fly to England and enjoy your soccer team. Just sign the checks and let football people make football decisions. And please, do not make any phone calls to a certain Cleveland talk show host to ask for advice.
As a member of the media,here's the sad truth: Many of us are in this business because we didn't have the ability to play the sport, and didn't have the patience to learn it well enough to coach it or make personnel decisions.
I'm here because I enjoy writing and love sports. But if I were to coach, I'd fail.
My advice to Randy Lerner is to do the thing that Cleveland has had so much trouble doing over the last seven years: Be patient. Erasing years of bad decisions takes more than 32 games.

1 Comments:

At 1:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, speak for yourself, buddy.
I'm in this business because I don't want to find a real job.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home