Friday, August 25, 2006

Too many Fridays
Today marks the beginning of the high school football season. I never played high school football, for obvious reasons.
I can't say I've ever really understood the passion in which some people follow high school football. But that's probably because neither I nor my brother played.
Now, don't get me wrong. When I was in high school, I attended as many games as I could, and often videotaped the games for my school. I always loved, and still love, the atmosphere.
But sometimes it goes too far.
Having covered high school football for two seasons now, I know of a select group of people who take the games a little too seriously. Winning and losing are important, and sports writers, officials and even other fans sometimes get undeserved wrath.
When I ask about the value of prep athletics in our society, I'm often told it builds character in our youth, that it teaches discipline and sportsmanship.
Usually, I see that attitude from the players. The fans are at times another story.
My message to anyone going out tonight is simple: Enjoy yourself, cheer for your school, and enjoy the moment.
But if a call or a play does not go your way, keep perspective. The officials and players are doing the best they can. If parents and other fans show good taste and sportsmanship, it can only carry on to the field, and beyond.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home