Wednesday, February 15, 2006

No. 17
I am grateful to Radio Blogger for posting my site on its blogroll. Now I'm grateful for another reason, as the site posted Hugh Hewitt's entire interview with Cleveland Browns' legend Brian Sipe.
Sipe was the quarterback of what might be the most talked about Browns' team in history. Mention the words "Red Right 88" to a Browns fan, and most can tell you exactly where they were when it happened (I have no such ability, since I was not even six months old when it happened).
Hugh, like myself, leans to the right. Actually he resides there. But this interview rarely hits on politics, and instead focuses on Cleveland, steroids in sports, spirituality, youth sports, and more.
I'm not sure if non-Browns fans will be as riveted by the interview as I was, but it is worth looking at, I think. I'd also like to direct this to Joel Hammond, who is taking up residence in my hometown.
Some quotes
On Youth Football:
Boy, don't get me started on what we do to kids today now in athletics, and getting them started so early on, and the organization, and all this kind of stuff ... And you know what? We get these kids in uniforms way too early, and they don't think that a sport is sport unless there is an official around with a striped shirt on, and I just don't buy into it. And then what happens is that the parents invest so much time and so much energy and so much of themselves into their child's career, that they get all crazy when it's time for them to get to me in high school, and you know, the possibility that they're going to go on and potentially have a pro career, but at the very least, a Division I scholarship.

On Cleveland:
...back in 1972. And Cleveland was a different place then. The Cuyahoga'd just caught fire, and the steel mills were all closing down. It was not a pretty place. But man, they love their Browns. And you know what? I learned something back there, and it stuck with me my whole life. I learned sense of community and family while I was back there. The people that stick around Cleveland and make Cleveland their life are a loyal bunch, and I was the recipient of that loyalty when I played for the Browns. I'm still treated like royalty when I'm back there, and I'll never forget that time. My wife wanted us to stay back there and raise our kids back there. She just thought it was a wholesome place. And I couldn't agree with her more. I just didn't want to be the ex-Cleveland Brown quarterback the rest of my life.

Check it out here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home