Thursday, August 11, 2005

Certain things
I need to start by thanking by brother and Vivek for keeping the blog going during my absence. Curtis was especially good, I thought, since his post on oil was something I likely never would have written about. Vivek touched on Peter Jennings' passing, something I heard about while at a party for a friend in Los Angeles.
Unlike Vivek, my parents watched ABC when I was growing up. Peter was always the man I watched give the national news. In later years, I began to suspect he was liberal, but unlike some of his contemporaries, it did not affect his presentation.
The man won points with me just last year for single-handedly derailing Wesley Clark's presidential bid, just by asking a question. No bias, just a question that needed to be asked.
I am not sure when his passing will sink in, probably next time I watch World News Tonight and realize the new face is not just "sitting in."
In the last few months, we have lost the main anchors of a generation.
Tom Brokaw has retired. Dan Rather screwed up and stepped back. Now Peter Jennings is gone.
The world turns, albeit a little differently than it did a few weeks ago.
Rest in Peace, Mr. Jennings.

California
In his last post before my return, my brother speculated that I'd quote from Randy Newman's "I love LA." A good choice, and certainly an obvious one.
I have never been one to go for the obvious. (see below)
After spending six days in perhaps the capital of American liberalism, I was surprised to find that the people I met were mostly apolitical. Perhaps they were simply being polite (maybe my friend tipped them off), but politics was not really discussed. I did go to the Ronald Reagan Library, which as you can imagine was right up my alley. The Reagans certainly could pick the spots, as the area where the library was located was one of the most beautiful sights I had ever seen. Sadly, I forgot the camera that day, only coming away with a wall-bound picture from the gift shop.
The museum had a sports display case. Among the items that caught my eye was an orange helmet that was signed by every member of the 1988 Cleveland Browns. It was one of only two NFL items in the case.
It made me appreciate the man even more.
More on the trip later.

1 Comments:

At 2:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, If you are looking for a fantastic feel good vitamin b6vitaminvitamin b6 then you have to check this out.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home