Sunday, August 21, 2005

Browns thoughts
Different things that caught my eye during the Browns wins over the Lions.
-I didn't see the broadcast in question, but the powers that be apparently decided that Bob Golic is not and will not be the next Al Michaels.
That said, I was actually looking forward to seeing how bad the former Mike Rogers, a linemen from California University would do as the main announcer.
Regardless, I thought the three man booth, with the tremendous Sam Rosen as the play-by-play man, was very strong. Brian Brennan has come a very long way since he was Ronnie Duncan's sidekick in 1999.

- Trent Dilfer played better than anyone could have hoped. He made good decisions and trusted his line. Before anyone, like my dad, says that it's "just the Lions," remember that unlike the Giants, Detroit is expected to be a contender this year by some. I am not sure who, exactly, but ...

- Much has been said about Charlie Frye, one of the three former MAC quarterbacks on the roster. One thing that I noticed was how calm Charlie was at the end of the first half when he needed to spike the ball to set up a field goal attempt. Dawson missed the kick, but Charlie gave them a shot.


-Here's the big one. This was (and still may be) a column idea, but it needs to be written now, before I forget or Braylon Edwards gets hurt.
The Browns needed one play to win the game, and it came on their last shot. Everyone in the building saw Braylon come in. Everyone watching in Cleveland and Detroit saw it too.
Watching the game at work, I knew he was going to get the ball, and I had a pretty good idea what type of play it would be.
I knew that if I knew it, and the fans knew it, and the Browns knew it, there was a good chance the Lions knew what was coming too.
It didn't matter.
They knew, and they still couldn't stop the Browns receiver from coming down with the ball, and really, the win.
That was what every Browns fan needed to see.
That is why we should be optimistic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home