Friday, April 01, 2005

What's going on?
I just saw De Lovely, and it was brilliant. I never had seen Ashley Judd in anything that I would call memorable, but she matched Kevin Kline the best movie I have seen in a very long time.
She should have won an Oscar.

Life in general
Terri Schiavo died today. Somehow. I suppose the story is just beginning. Is it right or wrong, what happened to her? I don't know. The columnists that I often read for insight seem divided on the matter.
I only know one thing: No decision on the matter would have prevented pain. She is with God now. She is in a better place.

Hitchens on Wolfowitz
My favorite writer of the left makes a compelling case that Paul Wolfowitz is not the monster some would have you believe. Hitchens is the best contemporary writer I have ever read. Agree with him? Not always. But he has an unbelievable talent that even his greatest detractors would have to concede.

Just a one more time
Last year for Wrestlemania 20, I wrote a piece on the greatest moments in the event's history. It's been a year. Wrestling is, in a way, my dirty little secret. I love discussing politics and history, and especially music. But it can't top my buddy and former panelist Phil having me guess the three biggest moments of Wrestlemania VII.
At one point, I was going to write a column about how pro wrestlers die so young and people don't notice. It made it through one round of discussion at 210 West, before I realized I hadn't done the leg work for an appropriate column.
Still, despite my misgivings about the business, I will be having friends over for the big show. These gatherings usually break down into discussions and the show simply serves as a backdrop for them.
It usually takes a wrestling show to get all my friends together. Maybe I should thank Vince McMahon for that.
Still, I remember sitting at a bar with some of my buddies when I saw a close friend from my "other" life. She knew me as a sports writer who once discussed the electoral system with former congressmen, and who challenged author Rick Bragg for saying that "W" was the worst possible president for these times. (Man, forgot to turn that "blatent egotism" button off. I moreorless politely voiced dissent, though the whoppers I have told since likely indicate otherwise).
I was able to cut her off before she associated me with the 300 pound behemoths flinging each other around on the big screen, and we started having a normal discussion.
Then a first blood match came on.
"I uhhh ... I gotta go," I said.
She looked at me with quizzing brown eyes.
"You like wrestling? she asked.
I don't remember what I said, but it must have worked, because we are still friends.
Now lets play some Pomp and Circumstance and wait for the Macho Man.

1 Comments:

At 2:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow - great minds eh????

man vitamin

just check this one out .... man vitamin resources!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home