Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Three years after the Indians traded him, and ...
I still love to watch Bartolo Colon pitch. He made the Indians look like a collection of Triple A hitters Wednesday night. You just knew, somewhere around the fifth inning, that the game was over. This team couldn't hit Charles Nagy in the 1997 World Series.
The Indians, however, are not hitting, and they are running out of excuses as to why the offense hasn't responded. The bullpen killed the Indians last season, and right now, the offense looks to be the culprit.

1 Comments:

At 1:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A Colon vignette:
On my rounds in Medina, there's a sports card shop I sometimes stop in and browse around.
Hanging on the edge of a shelf, there's a picture of an Indians pitcher following through his delivery on the mound at Jacobs Field. Hispanic guy, thin. Now I like to think I know most of the Indians players to look at them, but this one had me perplexed. I went through my mental Rolodex, and the closest pitcher I could come up with was Colon. But, no, I thought, that guy is way too thin.
So I asked the guy behind the counter.
"Yep. That's Colon," he said.
The picture was circa 1997 or '98, right when he first came up. He looked closer to Julian Tavarez than David Wells. I don't know what he's eating in the off-season, but it must be something like that stew they serve to sumo wrestlers to make them fat. He must be 40 or 50 pounds heavier now.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home