Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Not so Fast
It has been over a week since we last spoke. The reasons for my hiatus were numerous, but not serious. The week provided an opportunity to see what has been going on in the world, without being able to jump to any quick conclusions. So here, now, are what I have missed in the last week.

Steroid Hearings
I apoligize in advance for my John Kerry-esque stand on these hearings. You'd have to be an idiot not to think that the congress of this great country can be put to better use. On drugs, I tend to be a libertarian, since I don't care what someone does as long as they don't hurt anyone else. At least that's my legal perspective.
But I am also a lifetime baseball fan, and quite frankly, I feel deceived. Deceived by baseball, deceived by the wretched immoral MLB Players Union. What I have been watching the last 15 years has been, in some way, a fraud.
I watched when Mark McGwire broke Roger Maris' record for home runs five years ago, and the emphasis was on sports then. Now, it seems that the record is nothing more than a joke, a hoax.
Steroids are illegal in this country. More than that, they are an unfair advantage over the clean ballplayer, as well as the players of the past. The players cheated, and the fans who believed in them -- we were cheated too.
And baseball knew this, and did nothing for the better part of 18 years.That's why I want to see those men which I hold in such contempt --Donald Fehr and Bud Selig, get what they deserve. They deserve humiliation and emberassment on the highest scale. They ruined a great sport so they could line their pocketbooks.
That's why I want to see the hearing. And I don't like "the system is working," argument. And how can we trust baseball to solve the problem of steroids when it has done so little over the last two decades.
It's true, congress has done a good job of turning this into a circus and political grandstanding. But then, putting village idiot of congress on ESPN to explain it (Dennis Kucinich) hurts the cause.
But baseball will respond to pressure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home