Sunday, December 10, 2006

Shuffling the Ipod, V2
Five songs at random: Here we go
Note: I try to write about anything that comes to mind when the song comes on, and finish my rantings when the song ends.

Diamond Girl--Seals and Crofts
Interesting thing about this song ...I seem to remember my dad not being a big fan of it. He loves Seals and Crofts, telling me once that "I can't really explain how popular they were at one time."
I personally love this song, with the harmony and the not so obvious melody. Part of me thinks if the group had stayed together, rather than taking the money and running to Mexico (or whatever), more great songs would have followed. The beauty of the band was, in my opinion, the harmonies, and the fact that they can't be easily defined as either folk or pop. I also think there hasn't really been a duo like them since they split.

I Should have known Better--The Beatles
Every time I think of this song, I think of the scene from the film Hard Days Night, where the band is playing cards on a train, then performing. With John Lennon giving a good vocal performance, and a cathy harmonica line, the song is upbeat and moves along nicely. It also is a good display of Lennon's underrated voice. In the last part of the song, they forgo the double-tracked vocals and let John go, and he's great.

Dr. Robert -- The Beatles
I can't remember if this song is directly related to the first time Lennon and George Harrison tried LSD, unknowingly. The story I remember is the two being given some in their drinks, but they were not told what it was. I don't know if the song is directly related to that event, or just what The Beatles Anthology used for retelling the story.

$1,000 Wedding --Gram Parsons
This is actually one of my favorite songs by Gram, appearing on his final album, Grevious Angel. I read the song was composed during Gram's time in the Flying Burrito Bros., but originally went over nine minutes.
I'm glad he waited to record it, because the harmonies he creates with Emmylou Harris in the song are what makes it stand out.
The song is still pretty long, and some might be scared away from it, but once it moves to the middle portion, it's quite gripping. It's a sad song, like a lot of Gram's work that he recorded on his final album, but it's one that needs to be heard.

Wouldn't it Be Nice -- The Beach Boys
For my money, this is the best vocal work ever done by Brian Wilson, At his peak as a songwriter, he goes trough this song with a youthful enthusiasm that fits the song so well. Mike Love sings the bridge, and the harmonies are excellent. This was the first song on Pet Sounds. I wouldn't call it the best song on the album (God Only Knows was an amazing musical achievement few bands will ever match), but it set the tone for one of the best albums ever recorded in any style of music.

1 Comments:

At 7:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fucking LOVE "Wouldn't It Be Nice"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home