Saturday, October 01, 2005

Six new messages
So said my cell phone last night after I returned from a high school football game. I had asked Curtis A. to keep me posted on then Indians happenings, then promptly forgot my cell phone.
The messages all started with a familiar sentence:
"Be glad you're not watching this."
Some of my friends have said they are already pleased with the Indians season. The team is, after all, contending.
But I can't shake off some criticism. Specifically, my concern is with the future.
Kevin Millwood, Bobby Howry, Bob Wickman and Scott Elarton may not be back next season.
Millwood has pitched himself out of the Indians price range. The other three are also free agents.
Regardless, the staff will look quite a bit different in a year.
After 1995, I remember having dinner with my dad, and telling him that I was just pleased the Indians made the World Series. Just getting there was a great accomplishment.
My father, a Dayton-native who had cheered for the Big Red Machine, didn't miss a beat.
"No," he said. "When you get there, you've got to win it."
That's how I feel about the Indians right now. General manager Mark Shapiro has done a masterful job. But he's only signed for two more years. Why would he want to languish with Larry Dolan when there are teams with deeper pockets that could come calling?
The Indians have stayed healthy for the most part this season. They have won despite poor years from Casey Blake, Aaron Boone and Ben Broussard.
My point is the opportunity to win is now. There is no telling when or if another will come up.
After last night, it's difficult to believe this season will be more than a wasted opportunity.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home