Sunday, October 23, 2005

Column for the day
I refuse to jump on any conservative bandwagon regarding Harriet Miers. But the thing that strikes me the most is how conservatives I respect have yet to come up with a good reason for her to be on the Supreme Court.
If Miers is confirmed, she will likely be there much longer than President Bush occupies his position. In that sense, I assume Bush cronyism will only be a temporary cat call that will plague her career.
Once we get past that, though, I wonder how Miers will be viewed.
I'm no legal expert and am actually uncomfortable writing on the topic, because I know I'm out of my depth. To assert otherwise would be dishonest.
At the same time, when I look at Miers, it's not what her detractors are saying, but rather what her defenders are saying that concerns me. Are we to be satisfied with mere competence on the Supreme Court?
George Will's column is a must read.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home