Saturday, September 17, 2005

Just you're average "Zach can't sleep" post
Several weeks ago I wrote that Christopher Hitchens would eat George Galloway for lunch in a debate on the war in Iraq. Now we'll get a chance to see for ourselves, as C-Span is televising the debate at 9 p.m. this evening.
One thing that comes to mind is that I have previously held the belief that a debate on the war is something I had little interest in. I remember in college debating with someone I really liked. All I remember is that I used the phrase "he had to go."
Yes, I still believe that about Saddam Hussein. But I was still unable to articulate my argument.
Debating sports is something I do very well. Politics is another story.
So, as you readers may know, my posts on the war have become little more than linking the latest Hitchens article and essentially writing "what he said."
I'd feel worse about this if I were picking the works of someone who I didn't enjoy reading. But Hitchens is my favorite writer, even when he writes something I totally disagree with.
I, of course, will be working tomorrow, so I'll TIVO the debate.

Indians keep rolling
No one knows what is going to happen in the next two weeks. About a month ago, I wrote in this space that I didn't expect the Yankees to make the playoffs. At that time, the Indians chances seemed far more remote.
And here we are this morning, and it is becoming apparent that if the Yankees aren't to make the playoffs, the Indians will.
In April, I picked the Tribe to win the Central Division and the World Series. That would make me look somewhat intelligent then if the Indians do reach October.
Yet, I also remember writing the Indians eulogy at least twice.
Optimism does not come easily for a Cleveland fan. What is scaring me now is that much like 2000, if the Indians do make the playoffs, they will enter with a better pitching rotation than they ever had in the 1990s.
I would take Millwood, Sabathia, Westbrook and Lee over Martinez, Hersheiser, Nagy and Hill.
That likely will sound strange to many, especially considering what Hersheiser and Martinez did in 1995.
I would certainly take the Indians lineup in 1995 over this one, but that would be obvious.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home