Thursday, June 30, 2005

Thug
For every sports journalist, it's your worst nightmare. You're just doing your job, and someone steps in the way and keeps you from getting what you need. It could be a quote, footage, or anything that prevents you from doing your best.
What Kenny Rogers did yesterday was not the act of a frustrated veteran; but rather the act of a petty, self-absorbed bully.
His act was not much different than what Albert Belle ten years ago, when he launched baseballs at a photographer who had the audacity to do his job.
In 1995, I was a freshman in high school and a fanboy, so while I knew it was wrong, I wasn't really offended. Also, Albert was important to the Tribe lineup.
I was 15.
Now, I am a sportswriter, and if I have a job to do, and someone has the audacity to prevent me from doing my job, I would be annoyed and angry.
But to assault a photographer brings things to another level. It's not acceptable or excusable in any form, in professional sports or not.
Kenny Rogers is a thug. I hope the photographer sues him and Rogers faces legal action. I also hope baseball takes a stand and suspends him at least a month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home