Thursday, August 19, 2004

John Smoltz and best closers
Just caught John Smoltz on Best Damn Sports Show Period. While I have always considered the show to be a complete waste of even mandnatory wasted time, Smoltz's appearance made me want to watch.
We never know what athletes are like, but John comes accross as a normal, likable guy with good perspective on his job.
He's the best closer in baseball today. I know Eric Gagne is a beast, but if I have Smoltz appears to be a bit less erratic in his style. Bottom line: If I needed a closer to get the last three outs of a game where I had a one run lead, I'd take Smoltz.

Vitamin Z's Magnificent 7: Top closers of all time
1. Dennis Eckersley
2. John Smoltz
3. Rollie Fingers
4. Tug McGraw
5. John Franco
6. Randy Myers
7. Bobby Thigpen

UPDATE
Not putting Quisenberry on there is a failure on my part. But I can't include Gossage because of the fact that his most famous moment is giving up a series clinching homerun is the ugliest uniform ever devised. And I'm INCLUDING the Astros home uniforms from 1980-1986.
Thigpen I include simply because of his record in 1990, which may be one of the best seasons by a closer ever. Still, Quisenberry may cause him to get bumped.
Mariano Rivera is a Yankee, and I need players on that team to retire before I can stop hating them.

2 Comments:

At 7:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Goose Gossage?
Dan Quisenberry?
Kent Tekulve?
Elroy Face?
Clay Carroll?
John Franco?

 
At 7:15 PM , Blogger David said...

word up on DE at #1. go A's.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home